Thursday, July 15, 2010

4 states in 6 days

Niagara Falls!

X-tina rode with us into RIT.

The dock at Avon Lake.

John & Cathy Berner provided 2nd lunch on one of the hottest rides. The riders were so happy to jump into Lake Erie in their back yard!

About 2 miles away from the church in Niagara with Kelly & Kate.



The whole crew showed up!

Beth carried this flag the whole 1.5 miles to see fireworks. It was great for photos.

Leaving RIT on the 4th. We sang the Star Spangled Banner.

In Ashtabula, the night before our build day. This was the dance party. Club Northern.

On the Maid of the Mist in Niagara.

Ride into Rochester, NY. Sam (1oolbs) was on the seesaw with Paul (250lbs) and obviously was stuck in the air so I jumped out to even the playing field.
3 states in one day. We left Westfield, NY, hit PA, and then onto Ashtabula, OH. Notice Nolan creeping in the background.
Watching the fireworks in Lockport, NY

Paul got go-carts donated while we were staying at RIT.
Obviously, we were really excited.

Avon Lake, Ohio. This was the home of one of our home stays hosts. Everyone went swimming in lake Erie with the sun setting. A-MAZING.


Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois-check. Onto Wisconsin tomorrow. And then we will be almost half way. Time is seriously flying even though each day feels like its days long.

Ohio, Michigan, and Illinois pretty much all looked the same with lots of farm land and flat terrain.

Chicago is legit. I rode in with Jamey, Sarah, Kate, Paul, and Liz. The first 85 miles were pretty awful because the roads were terrible but once we got into the city and on the Lakeshore bike path we were all blown away. Probably the best 15 miles I've ever had on the bike. Once we were close enough to see the sky line we got off the bike and Jamey hooked us up with our theme song; Scissor Sisters, "I don't feel like dancing." People were looking at us like we were crazy but that pretty much happens everywhere we go. Diane, Sarah and I went exploring Lincoln Park once we were all showered up and treated ourselves to some sushi. Man, I miss sushi! Liz, Sarah, Jill, Kels, Beth, Kelly (and her friends) and I went to a bar after dinner. Kate and her aunt met up with us a little later and her aunt put $50 on a tab for us. I think I had 5 beers. Nowadays, I really only need 3. I'm a lightweight again. Let's just say I slept really well last night.

We pushed wake up to 9AM this morning which is a real treat compared to the 5AM norm. So Kelly, Denis, Ang, Tyler and I went to breakfast. We felt like normal people again. Thanks for picking up the tab Tyler.

We rode into Grayslake today and Kelly and I stayed together for the whole day. Most of the day was on bike paths and the first 10 miles were hysterical. We were on a path that had many sculptures that made for great photo opts. There was one incident with a gigantic red horse...I climbed up as Kelly set up her camera on our bike tripod. She climbed up fast, the picture took, and she proceeded to climb down. I, on the other hand, was unable to get down that easily. After about 5 1/2 minutes of her directing me where to put my feet and hands I suggested she cup her hands and hold my foot so I could hop/catapult down . She knew better and said no. Finally, I got my footing and was able to get down. Note to self: I fail at climbing things.

Here are some pics from the past couple of days.


No comments:

Post a Comment